The Sony PlayStation Classic console will appear in stores as early as December 3. This equipment has already reached reviewers who share their impressions. This means that we already know practically all the details about the new retro console. Players remembering the times of the first PlayStation worry that part of the games (especially Tekken 3) are in the PAL version instead of NTSC.
Opinions on Sony’s first retro console are balanced. The Japanese are praised for their design, good quality and good “playing on sentiment”. However, players do not like the fact that the giant took a shortcut and used an open-source emulator. The community is also disappointed with declarations regarding the closed list of games. In my opinion, the last point should not surprise anyone. Nintendo did the same with the NES Classic Edition. However, Sony fans have another reason to worry. Some games are based on the PAL version, which have a screen refresh rate set to 50 Hz. In turn, dynamic games (e.g. Tekken 3) perform much better in the NTSC versions with 60 Hz. This problem was already visible in Tekken 2 (it can be seen in the following video). In turn, Tekken 3 is more dynamic, so the players’ fears seem justified.
Tekken 3 is not the only PlayStation Classic game in the PAL 50 Hz version
Below you can check the full list of games with a distinction between different versions:
- Battle Arena Toshinden (PAL)
- Cool Boarders 2 (PAL)
- Destruction Derby (PAL)
- Final Fantasy VII
- Grand Theft Auto (PAL)
- Intelligent Qube
- Jumping Flash! (PAL)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Mr. Driller
- Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee (PAL)
- Resident Evil Director’s Cut (PAL
- Revelations: Persona
- R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
- Syphon Filter
- Tekken 3 (PAL)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six (PAL)
- Twisted Metal
- Wild Arms
In addition, Sony has published a few details about the console:
- Each game from PS Classic supports up to 15 virtual slots for memory card.
Pressing the Reset button takes the player to the main menu and creates a point to which you can go back the next time you start the game.
- In games that were released on a larger number of discs (e.g. Final Fantasy VII), you need to press the “Open” button to install the next virtual disc at the right moment.
- The System Link function is not supported. Some games offer splitscreen.
- A USB charger is not included. The equipment needs a 5 V charger with 1 A current.
- You will not be able to connect PS Classic with a PSN account, and Sony does not plan new content for the console.
- The console supports 480p and 720p. Scaling to higher resolutions can provide a TV.